Thursday, May 8, 2008






















My turn! I'm Jacquie and I blog at tallgrassprairiestudio. I started sewing as a kid making clothes in 4-H and in school. I caught the quilting bug as a young mother in the 90's. I am a self-taught quilter; no classes, just me, books and lots of experimenting. I haven't done much sewing in many years due to a busy life with active children and a demanding job. I left my job last November and it's been wonderful having time to be creative again. I consider myself a novice quilter. I love to try and hopefully learn new techniques. Craftsmanship is important to me. I strive to make quality pieces without beating myself up in the process. Quilting should be fun!

Like Rebekah I'm inspired by Denyse Schmidt and Ringle and Kerr. I wholeheartedly echo her book recommendations. I have also done a bunch of reading about the quilters of Gee's Bend and traditional African American quilts. I'm inspired by the simplicity and graphic quality of these quilts. I admire their improvisational style and their fresh interpretations of traditional blocks and patterns. If you haven't read Mary Lee Bendolph, Gee's Bend Quilts, and Beyond, I would highly recommend it.

These three quilts exemplify a bit about my quilting style and my aesthetic. I love graphic quilts and fun color combinations. I enjoy working improvisationally or with simpler patterns that can be used to showcase fabulous fabrics. The first quilt was made improvisationally after I read Denyse Schmidt's book. The Zig Zag and Whirlygiggles quilts are great patterns for contemporary fabrics. Lastly, I'm a fabriholic. Sometimes I have trouble cutting into fabrics I really love. You can see the rest of my work on my flickr page.
I'm tickled to be a part of this group (honored really), and I hope I can keep up with the rest of you creative ladies!

3 comments:

bettyninja said...

Great post- I just love your quilts and find myself inspired by the same styles

Rebekah said...

your wonky square quilt is beautiful, but then again, I love everything you make!

~Molly~ said...

Love the ziggyzaggy quilt, reminds me of Charlie Brown only happier!

Molly

ps, this is the supercoolest blog, I'm so looking forward to what you all do in the future!