Friday, August 1, 2008

finished quilt top



I've been staring at all of your blocks and plotting this quilt in my head for quite a while now! You all did such a great job with your blocks and I love how they all fit together. This has been such a rewarding project and the major perk is coming up with a quilt top that I really love that features so many different types of blocks that I didn't have to make myself! Every time I look at one of your blocks, I notice a new detail or technique that you used. It was so much fun to see how you all took a few pieces of fabric and transformed it into such creative blocks!

So here's my finished quilt top (excuse the skewed photo...my fisheye lens was the only lens I could use to get the whole thing in the picture).



The quilt size is 80" x 88". After framing the individual blocks with white fabric, I trimmed them to be 14" square (including the seam allowance). For the stripes between the rows of blocks, I used fabric scraps that I strip pieced. I cut the pieces 1.5" wide (1" after sewing) and then sewed them together in random lengths. I used exactly 4.5 yards of white for the front. I plan to use black fabric for the backing.



For the quilting part, I want to do rows of squiggles in red thread in the white portion of the quilt in the style that's seen here. I'm having trouble coming up with what to do for the quilting on each of the blocks. I want the blocks to shine and a few of you used embroidery and special sewing stitches on your blocks so I definitely don't want to sew over these. Do you have any ideas for me?

8 comments:

Lunden said...

The quilt top looks wonderful! Nice work. I love the free motion inspiration as well.

jacquie said...

All so different, but they look marvelous together. This is such a great idea. I love how you've put this together. As for the quilting...need to ponder on that a bit.

Karen said...

Love all of the blocks!!! Very creative and the colors are fun too;)

Unknown said...

That looks fantastic! I really like the squiggle line idea you're going to use for the white. As for the quilt blocks themselves, just stitch in the ditch? I know, it's so boring, and hard to make it look good, but I think the blocks are so fabulous that I think they will stand out on their own.

Oiyi said...

Wow, it looks so good all put together!

bettyninja said...

This is perfect like this! I love how it really works out how different each one is.

em's scrapbag said...

I love the blocks. I thing the squiggle quilting will be great. Happy Quilting, Em

Wendy said...

The pieced strips look fantastic with the blocks! Don't worry about quilting over the embroidery. I've done it before and it's just fine. My other suggestion is what Lynn said - stitch in the ditch. Free motion stippling in black might also look nice on the blocks.