Modern, minimal, masculine is completed. Here it is on Jon's bed in the cave (his basement room). It's perfect and I can't thank you all enough for the effort you put into your blocks. He hasn't seen it yet, but I know he's going to love it.
Here's the guy you made it for. His future is bright! I'm a happy mom that he'll be wrapped in a quilt made by all of us.
The quilt has had a few renditions since I first posted the top. I took it apart a couple of weeks ago and did a redesign. I paired some of the blocks and framed them as pairs for the top section and for the bottom section, framed the blocks individually.
I really like how the vertical pairs add interest to the quilt and I love how the pairs relate to each other. It's quilted with simple straight lines which I think adds to the modern feel. The quilt fits his double bed perfectly. The back is snuggly, chocolate brown flannel.
Now, for the sad part of the story. I finished the quilt last week in time for graduation on Saturday. I popped it in the washer and when I took it out of the dryer I found one of the blocks had disintegrated. Liz, I'm so sad to say it was your circle block. It didn't have a thing to do with the block's construction because that's not where it ripped. I think it must have caught in the washer and just ripped and ripped. This is the replacement block. I had to take out about a fourth of the quilting and tear the top apart to insert the new block. It wasn't easy, but I'm so happy that I was able to repair it. I had an extra block, but I had already used it to make a pillow sham for him. I didn't want to rip that apart, so I used a block that I had made for a project improv quilt that wasn't in a top yet. It was made from scraps you all sent back, so I think it fits.
Though I'm sad that the quilt isn't the original, I think the washing disaster makes the quilt even more special to me and I hope to Jon. You all did beautiful work and helped me make the perfect quilt for him. Thank you.