Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Story of Jon's Quilt

Modern, minimal, masculine is completed. Here it is on Jon's bed in the cave (his basement room). It's perfect and I can't thank you all enough for the effort you put into your blocks. He hasn't seen it yet, but I know he's going to love it.
Here's the guy you made it for. His future is bright! I'm a happy mom that he'll be wrapped in a quilt made by all of us.
The quilt has had a few renditions since I first posted the top. I took it apart a couple of weeks ago and did a redesign. I paired some of the blocks and framed them as pairs for the top section and for the bottom section, framed the blocks individually.
I really like how the vertical pairs add interest to the quilt and I love how the pairs relate to each other. It's quilted with simple straight lines which I think adds to the modern feel. The quilt fits his double bed perfectly. The back is snuggly, chocolate brown flannel.
Now, for the sad part of the story. I finished the quilt last week in time for graduation on Saturday. I popped it in the washer and when I took it out of the dryer I found one of the blocks had disintegrated. Liz, I'm so sad to say it was your circle block. It didn't have a thing to do with the block's construction because that's not where it ripped. I think it must have caught in the washer and just ripped and ripped. This is the replacement block. I had to take out about a fourth of the quilting and tear the top apart to insert the new block. It wasn't easy, but I'm so happy that I was able to repair it. I had an extra block, but I had already used it to make a pillow sham for him. I didn't want to rip that apart, so I used a block that I had made for a project improv quilt that wasn't in a top yet. It was made from scraps you all sent back, so I think it fits.
Though I'm sad that the quilt isn't the original, I think the washing disaster makes the quilt even more special to me and I hope to Jon. You all did beautiful work and helped me make the perfect quilt for him. Thank you.

11 comments:

Tina said...

what a story, and what a quilt. it is a treasure for sure!

Evelyn said...

So that's the rest of the story... I couldn't imagine what could have happened in the washer to cause you to need to re-quilt it. Now I see! You did a terrific job fixing it, and the whole thing looks so fantastic (the design, the fabrics, everything!).

Did you happen to get pictures of the damage? That would be so interesting to see...

jacquie said...

you know evelyn...i didn't. i should have now that i think of it. i was just so in a tizzy when it happened...all i wanted to do was get it fixed and out of there.

One Shabby Chick said...

So glad that after all the frustration and sadness (and I'm sure tears) a beautiful quilt emerged. It's absolutely stunning Jacquie - I love the design - it's so perfect for the fabrics and blocks. I'm sure he will absolutely love it!

Anonymous said...

Now there are three reasons for this to be memorable... the occasion, the gorgeous collaboration and the "story". He'll have it forever.

Amanda Jean said...

it's a beautiful quilt! the quilting is perfect!!! and i'm so glad that you were able to repair it after the washing machine disaster. sheesh, that must have been horrible!

abcgirl said...

I think you've acheived modern, minimal and masculine. the simple quilting lines are perfect for this quilt. how gut-wrenching to have a quilt tear in the wash! glad it turned out okay in the end!!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

its so fun. i had to play with that fanric too. nice job! way to save it from the eating washmachine...

Rebekah said...

I love this quilt! I'm so sorry about the washing machine mishap that set you back (and the demise of Liz's block).

The parallel quilting lines make it look so fresh and modern and I really love how you arranged the blocks.

Beautiful job!

Unknown said...

The quilt looks great! You did such a great job quilting it!

Wendy said...

I'd have been in tears. Your repair looks flawless.

I love the look of the paired blocks!