so I finished my block for the next month of the quilt bee.
I had good intentions to follow the guidelines Melissa shared. I like the gumdrop-esque quilt from her inspiration photos, so I started with the bird fabric as a feature for the center. somehow as I went, the block evolved to be less modern or wonky, and a lot more literal. I let it sit half finished for a week as I debated where to take it and ended up going with a more traditional sort of design. the border and overall look is good bit more precious than I intended. this is my worry with the quilt bee, that I will have the loser block that doesn't match with the others. I hope it ends up working with the rest.
on a more positive note, I have to say that I really enjoy working under the constraints of other people's fabric and suggestions to make a block. it's a little like Project Runway or something, it pushes me to be more creative and try new things I might not try on my own. for this block, it was the first time I tried to piece a shape more complicated than a square or diamond with that center piece. it's not perfect, but I might dabble with the approach in future quilts.