Thursday, June 26, 2008
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Saturday, June 14, 2008
The fabrics I picked are Alexander Henry's Birdseed and solid white, yellow, medium gray and dark gray. I sort of flew by the seat of my pants on the sizes of the pieces I sent but they are basically all about 15" x 6", except for the dark grey and that is 7" x 7" (since it is more of an accent color).
My general plan for the quilt is to use it on my queen bed so I am hoping that everyone will make a 14" x 14" block. I am planning on sewing 4 additional blocks to make it 4 blocks by 4 blocks with sashing in between and a nice big border. If for any chance, I didn't send enough fabric for each of you to work you magic into 14" x 14" block, feel free to go smaller. Also feel free to bring in fabric from your own stash if you want to spice things up a bit.
I sent out the fabric on Friday so hopefully you will receive it in the next couple of days. Let me know if it doesn't arrive soon.
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
I loved the mushroom fabric, so I knew I wanted to showcase at least one of the mushrooms. My original plan was to do a wonky log cabin, but with all the black and red it didn't turn out quite right, so I started piecing pieces together randomly. I did the left side first and it reminded me of piano keys since they were almost alternating. After that I decided to do the right side in a similar fashion. I added the black swirly fabric to break things up a bit.
This block was pretty fun. Definitely made me quilt differently than I usually do!
Monday, June 2, 2008
After taking the rotary cutter to the first piece my fear sort of melted away and much like Carissa, the fabric inspired me to create this block. I did do a bit of redesign which involved a touch of ripping.
Rebekah, I hope you don't mind the addition of the bit of white. I'm pleased with how it came together and now I'm looking forward to the arrival of the next set of fabric.
a few weeks ago, my first fabric showed up in the mail. (it’s so fun to get good mail!) i opened it to find these three blocks of fabric:
one of my tiny fears about joining this group was that i’d have … let’s call it “quilter’s block” …. and be stumped as to what design to create. not with these fabrics! for some reason, as soon as i saw them, i pretty much knew what i was going to do. i was relieved when Rebekah's instructions fit perfectly with my plan. in fact, it was so obvious to me what the design “should” be that i was concerned that someone else in the group would create an identical block (which, really, wouldn’t have been a big deal, right?). i was relieved to learn that there were more than three different fabrics, so not everyone got the same ones that i did, thereby increasing the chances for randomness (hmmm.... good to note for when I have to pick out fabrics.....)
i finally sat down, late one night to actually make it. cutting the fabric was a bit daunting (can’t go buy more to replace it!), but realizing that even if something dreadful happened there was enough fabric that i’d probably still be able to make a block of some kind helped. also, remembering that mistakes can often lead to wonderful design serendipity helped. i first attempted to do something very wonky, but didn’t like the way that turned out (looks like i need to dissect denyse’s ‘wonky’ technique a little longer, apparently), so i did something a little different. because i am a slap-dash sewer extraordinaire, you can still see the wonky design idea on the back of the block:
i think the slant was just wayyyyy too pronounced. plus, i don’t think d.s. ever does parallelograms. anyway, bleh. but like i said, i fixed it and then decided to add a little bit of hand-stitching detail and here is the final block!
i hope she likes it. i do! i’m looking forward to the next month’s quilting challenge!